Southwest Spice Blend (with Nightshade Free Option)
This fresh blend of spices is a great addition to almost any appetizer or main dish.
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp coriander I prefer grinding my own so it is fresh
- 1 tbsp cumin I prefer grinding my own so it is fresh
- 1 tsp salt preferably Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper Freshly ground is best
- 1 tsp ground annatto seed powder ok to leave out if you can't find it
- 2 tbsp chili powder omit if you need nightshade free
- 1/2 tsp cayenne omit if you need nightshade free
- 1 tbsp paprika omit if you need nightshade free
Grind your spices in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, including coriander, cumin and black pepper. I like to coarsely grind the spices to leave some texture in the blend and bigger flavor bursts.
Combine all spices in your spice jar and place lid on tightly.
*leave out the chili powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper for a nightshade free version. You can increase the amount of annatto powder and black pepper in this case to give more flavor and color.
Store in a dark cupboard until ready to use